Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ancient Greeks Are The New Vampire

Because they are just soooo cool!
So yesterday I was looking at this website or whatever. It has trailers for upcoming movies. One of them was entitled Immortals. Hmmm, I thought to myself. Better check it out, just in case Hollywood accidentally churned out something good.



Why, it seems to be a version of the story of Theseus. Now, if I remember correctly, Theseus was involved in some shady biz with minotaurs and labyrinths n' stuff, but I guess in this movie he's fighting Titans. Ok. I mean, it's all fictional anyway. But what's this? The film's title is tagged by the line "from the Producers of 300".  Lest we forget the scantily-clad extravaganza that was 300:


(still one of my all-time favorite trailers)

And only last year was America gifted with Liam Neeson bellowing "Release the Kraken!!!" in Clash of the Titans:



But then I started remembering other Ancient Greek films,  Troy and Alexander being two recent additions:





Even Ancient Romans and Norse are getting some significant screentime, like in The Eagle, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and Thor:







I even have the feeling that there's been so many Ancient-Greek/Roman-themed productions lately that I'm forgetting some. Hmmm. Well, there's one last one that I'm not forgetting. Twilight played its part in the Vampire craze, and I'm sure that The Lightning Thief has played its part for the Ancient Greek trend (although it's focused on Greek Gods, not Ancient Greece, but still). I read the book, and I wasn't impressed, but clearly tons of kids are, because the books are selling very well, and I've noted these same kids going nuts for nonfiction books on Ancient Greece.



Last but not least: there's always more on the way.

No comments: