Sunday, November 15, 2009

I Really Wish That...that the GREs weren't necessary

Because, really, they're kind of insulting to undergraduate programs everywhere. The fact that the GREs exist and that most grad school hopefuls have to take them prior to applying is a slap in the face. It's saying "You may have a college degree, but we're willing to bet that you weren't taught a whole lot. In fact, you're probably so ignorant that you shouldn't be admitted to graduate school. Yet."
Well, GRE's, you're right. I WASN'T taught a whole lot....about HIGHER MATH. That's because I studied film, art history, art, and literature, and would like to continue in that same math-free path.
I'm willing to bet that pretty much no one would do well on the GREs if they took them right after graduating with a bachelor's degree. They might do great in one section, but that's it. That's why they have study books: to teach you what you apparently should have learned over the last four years.
I will grudgingly admit, however, that studying for the GREs is exposing me to new vocabulary, which I can and will use for the rest of my life.
Rant is now over.

No comments: